Sonntag, 26. Juni 2016

Chapter 2 - Worlds Apart




She awoke with a start when her mobile rang. Cursing lowly she felt her way over the bedside table.
“Hm?” she mumbled, putting her arm over her eyes.
“Hey babe! Did I wake ye up? Sorry, love, of course I did!”
“Rob? D’you have any idea what time it is?” she sighed.
“Rob, hum?” A husky chuckle resounded from the other end of the line. “So tell me, love, who else is calling you babe? Confess!”
Appalled Elena sat up, all of a sudden realizing that she was speaking Finnish as well as the man on the other end of the line. “Who’s this?” she whispered nervously, running her fingers through her hair.
Again he chuckled. “Deep asleep, aren’t we? It’s your husband speaking. I just got back to the hotel, we were out after the show and I kinda missed my little wifey. Wait a sec.” She heard him rummaging around for a few seconds. “Alright, luv, I’m back. Just needed to get my shirt off. So how are you?”
Completely out of words Elena swallowed and switched on the little lamp on the bedside table, gasping in shock. She was back in the room she had dreamed about the night before! The bed was huge and she kicked the soft silken bed sheet away with another gasp. How could that be? Was she dreaming again? Puzzled she rubbed her face.
“Babe? You still there?” his soft voice resonated from the speaker again, making her clear her throat.
“Sorry.” She managed to whisper. “I’m still here.” And I’m dreaming again! She added silently, trying hard to gather herself. “So how are you?”
“Well, besides a little drunk and hungry for my lovey I’m fine.” He chuckled huskily and she heard him lighting a cigarette. “The last show went good so far but I was hoping that you’d come to see me in London today.”
“Today?” she threw a gaze at the clock radio that was placed right next to the lamp. It was half past six in the morning and she suppressed a little yawn. “Well...I... I don’t know, you...”
“Don’t say no just yet, love!” he interrupted. “I will send a car for you at nine to take you to the airport and I will arrange everything with your flight and stuff. You’ll be picked up in London and brought to the hotel, everything’s settled, just say yes, will you?”
“O...Okay, so... maybe I should get up then and start packing.” Again she ran her hand over her face. That was impossible! Where were the strange colours, the odd lights, shadows, anything that could reassure her that this was nothing but a dream? Everything seemed so damn real!
“That’s my girl! Alright, so I will get some rest now and you, my dear, will get ready for your man. I missed you.” His voice became lower. “Damn it, I’ve missed you so much, Leni!” she heard him sigh. “Let the time pass quickly, I’ll see you this afternoon, ok? Love you baby!”
“Yes, see you. Love... you too.” She stared down at the mobile in her hands, ending the call. What the freaking hell was wrong with her? Where was she? Who was she in this dream? Now that he had called her, everything seemed even more real to her!
Like a sleepwalker she got up from the bed, randomly throwing pullovers and shirts into a suitcase she had found in a small storage room on the corridor before she took a long shower. It was the second shower she took in this bathroom but it felt equally odd. On her tiptoes she went downstairs into the kitchen, wondering a little why she tried to keep the sound intensity of her steps as low as possible. Soon she was sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in her ice cold hands, gazing outside into the foggy and grey morning. She found a remote on the table, switching on the TV inside the gigantic living room to distract her thoughts. Zapping through the channels, she stopped after a while to watch the news.
“Good morning!” the newsreader smiled into the camera. “It’s chilly and foggy outside but what d’you expect, folks, it’s the 22nd of December, two more days ‘til Christmas, I hope that all your gifts are already well wrapped up ‘cause shopping by now is disastrous!” again he flashed a big smile at his audience on their TV-screens. “So let’s get back to today’s news. The former minister of...”
Elena stared down at the remote in her hand. What the hell?
Yesterday had been the 22nd.
Half-heartedly following the news, she wondered again, just how real her dream was. The news were definitely not helping to distract her, so she got up after a while, zapping to a music channel while she went over to the kitchen again to place her cup on the counter. Sighing she closed her eyes, fiddling with the cord of her bathrobe. Even if it seemed real, it was only a dream! She kept telling herself, heading upstairs to get ready.

The car was right on time and Elena still felt like a sleepwalker when she took her suitcase, thanking the driver and went inside the airport of Helsinki. The woman at the information desk appeared tensed. She took Elena’s id and put on a little face before she flashed a smile at her customer. “I’m so sorry, Madam, your husband called us but we have some delays because of the fog, so... would you mind waiting at the lounge until we can handle everything for you? You will be called up as soon as possible. I’m really sorry for the trouble we’re causing you!”
Elena shoved her comment aside with a quick gesture. “Nevermind, you can’t predict the weather, can you?”
“Thank you very much for your appreciation. Just follow the signs; the lounge is right over there.” She pointed to her left, thankfully smiling at Elena.
Sitting down on one of the comfortable leather armchairs Elena ordered a cup of coffee and a croissant from one of the waiters before she leaned back, closing her eyes. “Not real, not real!” she whispered to herself, sitting up with a start when she heard a man clearing his throat.
“I’m sorry, Miss, you were saying?” he put down his newspaper, resting his elbows on his knees to bend forward in her direction. Elena felt her cheeks blushing and quickly shook her head. “Nothing, I’m sorry to interrupt you! I was just talking to myself.”
He laughed, running his fingers through his blond hair. “Nevermind, I do the same. I’m also talking to my suitcase if it isn’t following me the way it is supposed to!”
His laughter was infectious and she felt a small giggle escaping her mouth. “I do that too. Most of the time I’m cursing her.”
“Her?” he raised his eyebrow, pointing at her suitcase next to the armchair.
She nodded with a smile, patting the small brown case. “I used it for the first time today and it is very petulant. Must be a girl!”
He laughed along with her and nodded at the waiter that was bringing their coffee. “So delay, hum?” he looked outside into the thick fog and started to stir his coffee although he hadn’t added any sugar.
She nodded with a sigh. “You too?”
He returned her nod. “I was actually supposed to have a private flight today and now I’m stuck.” He shrugged. “Well, could be worse!” he smiled at her a little ironically. “I was supposed to pick up some VIP for a flight but the company wants to wait for a bit. Can’t wait to meet that grumpy VIP though!” again he laughed. “I’m a pilot.” He explained when he saw the questioning look on her face. “Actually it was my day off, but they couldn’t find another pilot for today, so...” he sighed, sipping his coffee. “Here I am again!”
“I’m sorry to hear that! Press charges against your company! And the grumpy VIP!” laughing she offered her hand to him. “I’m Elena by the way.” She paused for a second. What was the name of this music guy again? Had she taken his name when they had gotten married? She should have checked her own id at the information before. Another giggle came over her lips. This dream was just too weird! “Elena Heikkinen... Heikkinen-Haber.” She added after a few seconds, still shaking hands with him.
“Well, I’m pleased to meet you, Elena Heikkinen-Haber. My name’s Richard. Richard von Richthofen.”
“Von Richthofen?” Elena repeated slowly. “Like this fighter pilot von Richthofen from the first world war?”
“Wow, you are quite well informed!” smiling at her in surprise he placed his newspaper aside. “His cousin was my great-grandfather. How d’you know about that?”
“Well, I...” Elena blushed again, quickly hiding her face behind her cup. “I’m actually quite a swotter when it comes to history.” She shrugged her shoulders, hoping that the normal colour of her face would return any time soon. “So you are a pilot as well, hum? Kinda family tradition, isn’t it?”
He grinned. “Well, kind of.”
The two of them started a lively discussion about the war, his family and the uselessness and environmental damages of private flights, completely forgetting about the time. After another two cups of coffee, chocolate frosted donuts and croissants he heard his name being called and frowned.
“Ok, I put this face for two reasons: First: I need to go and leave you and our lovely conversation, and second: They never manage to pronounce my name!” doing another grimace he got up. “Rhitshard voon Rickthoufin.” He imitated the voice of the woman, making Elena choke on her croissant. Giggling and coughing she got up as well, taking his outreached hand. “Well, it was a pleasure to meet you, Richard von Richthofen!”
“Thank God, you’re doing it right!” laughing he threw his head back. “The pleasure was all mine, Elena Heikkinen-Haber! Have a good trip!”
“Thanks, you too!” smiling she waved at him as he passed the glass door, heading for the information desk.
Only a few minutes later her name was called and she grinned a little. It was indeed  Heikkinen-Haber and she felt her smile growing wider. Obviously she had been stubborn enough to keep her family name and just add his. Still smiling to herself she got to the information desk. It was the same young woman, returning her smile in relieve. “Again, our deepest apologies for your delay and the inconvenience!”
“Please!” Elena handed her passport over to her. “How could sitting at the first class lounge, having coffee, snacks and a good conversation cause any kind of inconvenience?” she put down her suitcase. “So where do I have to check in now?” looking around the crowded airport she couldn’t help smiling again. She loved to fly. Everything about it. Even the airport itself made her feel excited like a little child.
“Patrick here’s gonna take you to your gate.” Again the woman nodded thankfully and pointed at a small man with a red uniform, sitting in a golf buggy.
“Alright then.” Elena tapped the desk before she took her passport. “Thank you very much!” swallowing down a comment about her two healthy feet, she turned over to the buggy.
Patrick gave her a quick smile. He was very young and turned red under his pimples when she returned his smile. He didn’t talk much but the way was short and soon he stopped the car in front of a door. “Mrs. Haber?” he lifted her suitcase from the backseat. “This way please.”
She followed him through the door, pulling up the collar of her coat when the cold air hit her. “Where are you taking me?” she asked the boy, trying to catch up with him on the landing field.
Astounded Patrick slowed down his pace. “That’s yer flight over there, Madam.” Pointing at a small airplane he stopped to let another car packed with suitcases pass. “Please follow me.” He quickly checked the landing field before he beckoned her over. “I’m sorry, I forgot the umbrella, Madam!” he apologized, waving at someone inside the airplane.
The pilot met them at the stairs, staring at Elena with a puzzled look on his face. Grinning Elena offered her hand to him. “You always meet twice in life, don’t you think, Mr. Von Richthofen?”
Bashfully he chuckled. “Well, you seem right Mrs. Heikkinen-Haber.” He stepped aside, taking her suitcase. “Please, come on board.”
He showed her to her seat, placing her suitcase in one of the drawers. “Please feel free to have a drink, there won’t be a stewardess on board for the flight, but everything in here is at your disposal, so get comfortable. TV is over there. We will take off as soon as possible.” Nodding at her, he turned around to head for the cockpit, but Elena stopped him.
“Would...” excitedly she swallowed. “Would you mind if I came to sit in the front with you later? I’ve never been to a real cockpit, so...”
He smiled broadly. “Well, if we can lower the uselessness of private flights and do you a favour with it, I’d be pleased!” he beckoned her over. “You can come and sit with me.”
“Ok, now I need a drink!” quickly Elena made her way over to the bar, taking a glass and a bottle of Scotch, pouring herself one inch of whisky before she added a sip of water. Slowly sipping her drink she leaned at the bar, watching Richard that looked at her with a smile on his face.
“So you are my grumpy VIP, right?” smiling broadly, he folded his arms over his chest.
“Just wait for a few more of these!” she raised her glass. “Then I might start smashing the furniture of the plane into pieces!” she promised with a wink, emptying her glass. “So!” she clapped her hands, sucking in a deep breath. “Let’s get this baby started, what d’you say?”

Far too quick the flight was over. Elena was still over the moon, when she shook hands with Richard in the snowy rain at the London airport. “It was a special delight to have this flight with you, Richard!”
“Again, the pleasure was all mine, my dear grumpy VIP!” smiling he pointed at a waiting car with a man standing next to it, patiently waiting for her to approach. “This must be your ride.”
“Oh!” Elena threw a gaze at the man in his dark coat. “I hope he has not been waiting here for over two hours in the rain! He looks a little too obedient from my point of view!”
Chuckling Richard squeezed her arm. “I hope we’ll meet a third time, Mrs. Heikkinen-Haber!”
“I hope so too! Wait! Can we get you somewhere?”
“No, I’m gonna be fine. There’s another private flight back to Helsinki in a few hours, so...” smiling he waved at her. “Take good care!”
“You too! Thank you for everything!”
“My pleasure!” he put his scarf tighter around his neck and nodded at her before he rushed over to the entrance door of one of the gates.
Quickly Elena made her way over to the waiting car. “Hey!” she smiled at her driver.
He only nodded hastily, getting into the driver’s seat after closing the door behind her.
 -----------------------------------------------------------
When she finally arrived at her hotel-room she lay down on the bed, closing her eyes. ‘What if I fall asleep now?’ suddenly came to her mind and she opened her eyes. ‘Would I be back at home?’
Getting up from the bed she went over to the bathroom, running her fingers over the glassy fittings that were attached to the wall after washing her hands and face. There was a toothbrush at the rim of the sink, a blue cosmetic bag with a silver label she didn’t know right next to it. Curiously Elena opened it, taking a deodorant and a perfume out to smell them. The cologne was musky and somehow smelled very male and she couldn’t help smelling it again, wondering how it would scent lingering on the neck of its owner. Suddenly her mobile rang, making her flinch. Hesitantly she picked up. “Hello?”
“Hey babe! Everything alright? Did you have a good trip?” it was Haber’s husky voice again and she felt the sound of it hitting her like a blot of electricity.
“Hey! Everything’s fine!” she felt caught red handed when she realised that she still had his cologne in her hand. Quickly she put it back, tossing the whole bag down to the floor unintentionally. “Sorry!” she started to collect his stuff and heard him chuckle.
“Clumsy as usual, aren’t we?”
“Sorry.” She mumbled again.
“So listen, love, I... actually I wanted to be back at the hotel at about four, but it seems that... well, it’s gonna take a little longer.”
She gazed at her wristwatch. It was only half past one and she had to admit to herself that she felt a little relieved that she didn’t have to face her husband just yet. “So what d’you think, how long’s it gonna take?”
“Well, I was told that I sucked at some of the latest recordings and they have to record some of my parts again. We’re starting in about an hour, no idea how long it is gonna take all in all. I’m sorry, love!”
“Nevermind, I... I’ll be waiting for you at the hotel, alright?”
“Actually I talked Riku into taking care of you. He’s gonna pop by soon, taking you out for lunch and maybe a little stroll around until I come back. I’m gonna call you as soon as I’m done ok? Gotta go now. Love you, baby!” he hung up, leaving her puzzled.
So who the hell was Riku? A bodyguard? One of his bandmates? Most probably another Sunrise Avenue-guy. Why hadn’t she asked Lilly for all of their names? Sighing Elena went over to the bedroom again, sitting down on the couch by the window. ‘It’s my dream, so let something happen!’ she thought, tucking up her legs. Right at this second there was a knock at the door, making her flinch at first. Then a grin crept up on her face. ‘Perfect dream-timing!’ quickly she got up to open the door, finding a smiling man in a blue t-shirt that somehow accentuated his eyes perfectly. “Hey dear!” he pulled her into a tight embrace. “Ready to go? Samu called me and asked me to take care of you.” Smiling brightly he stepped back, raising his eyebrow. “So are you ready to go?”
“I am!” she rushed over to the bed, picking up her purse.
“Hum.” He entered the room as well. “You wanna go like this?”
“What’s wrong with it?” she looked down at her jeans, the coat in her hand and her sneakers.
“Well, actually I was gonna take you to a fancy French restaurant, but... well you look more like grabbing a burger with some pals!” again he raised his eyebrow. “And actually.... I haven’t seen you like this for a long time! Know what,” he started unbuttoning his pants and went over to an open suitcase in a corner of the room. “Burger sounds a lot better than fancy-French!”
“What are you doing?” she asked astound when he pulled down his jeans.
He turned around and chuckled. “My suite case got lost, it will be brought here in a few hours, so I am right now borrowing something more casual and clean from yer husband! Stop staring at my knickers like you’ve never seen me like this before, I might tell someone!”
Laughing along with him she threw her free hand into the air, watching him pulling on a crumpled pair of jeans and a brown pullover. “Just do as you please!”
“Bit bigger than me, this husband of yours.” He suddenly stated as he sat down on the bed, starting to turn up the bottoms of Samu’s pants. Then he got up, hesitantly pointing at her suitcase. “But you have something fancier in there, right?”
She shrugged, remembering the way she had been packing this morning. “Well, maybe... Riku! What the hell d’you think you’re doing?” she shrieked when he took her suitcase to put it up on the bed, opening it to examine its contents. “Don’t get yer knickers in a twist, dear! I’m just checking...” turning back at her he held another pair of jeans and a casual sweater in his hands. “Are you kidding, dear? Where are your dresses? The skirts, shoes? Goodness! Did you even think about Christmas and new year’s eve?” he threw the clothes back into the open suitcase, grabbing her hand. “Samu is gonna kill you! Come on, we need to do some serious shopping right now! Ou would you please stop whining!” he interrupted her protest. “We grab some snack on the way, maybe a beer and then I’ll take you shopping for some dresses! There are too many occasions to attend, you hear me? So come on! Let’s do this!”
Smiling about his enthusiasm Elena let him drag her outside and into a waiting car. She hated shopping but the thought of food and a good beer lifted her spirits.

They stopped at a small pub on the way. Riku had asked the driver for the best shopping streets in town and she tried her best to memorize the instructions before they got out of the car, entering the pub.
“I’ll have...” studying the menu Elena felt her stomach growling. “The fried chicken with fries. Extra mayonnaise. And a Guinness please.” Smiling she closed the menu and leaned back on the wooden bench.
Riku looked at her a little confused. “Well, I... I take the steak, medium, with fries and a Guinness as well.” He smiled at the waitress. “Thank you!” leaning over the table he played with the salt shaker. “What happened to calories?” he mocked, making her snort.
“Technically calories are small and evil animals that shrink your clothes while you are asleep! So ignore them! If you ever see one though, try to kick its arse!”
He threw his head back and laughed until tears were running down his cheeks. “Damn it, girl! What has happened to you for fuck’s sake?”
Raising her pint in his direction she grinned. “I’m just having a pleasant dream and you are part of it! Here’s to you and our shopping day!”
 
Completely bushed she fell down onto the bed after a few hours of intensive shopping with Riku. The muscles of her stomach hurt because she had been laughing all day long. Lazily she kicked the bags with her new dresses off the bed, closing her eyes.
 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen