Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2016

Chapter 21 - Lost in the Dark

Chapter 21
Unable to sit still, I started to pack a few things, feeling ridiculous. What kind of play was this?
Standing by the window I tried to breathe in and out as slow and steady as I could.
The Jarl was dead and he had created his own plans that included me and my future.
Oddgeir was dead as well and without him no one would listen to Yorick and believe in our importance to these people.
Samu. My heart jumped in my chest painfully. If Yorick didn’t find him soon, he would be dead as well because for their new idea of a sacred partnership and a leading couple for the clan he was no longer required.
Idun. A sister, maybe a friend. I hadn’t saved her.
Burying my face in the palms of my hands, I confronted myself with everything that had happened and that now needed to be done. I had to try and find my way back home. I was to be with Samu, not with Yorick. I had to leave.
Feeling acid rising in my throat, I sat down on the floor, resting my back to the wooden wall.
The very thought of leaving Yorick hurt me almost as much as the fact that I had lost Idun and that I would most probably never have the chance to start a life with Samu after the exceptional occurrences of the night. It all preyed upon my mind. I was a Viking-scientist, of course I was fascinated by everything that had happened during the last days and that I had until now only read in books! Their lives, their behaviour, beliefs and strategies, it was amazing and…
Stop right here, Elida. Stop trying to find excuses and a way to stay in this godforsaken time!
New facts, as mentioned above, many from our side were dead. The whole clan would expect me to marry Aevarr now and of course they would kill Samu. Two things I wouldn’t let happen even if hell froze overnight.
I wasn’t meant to be a spiritual guide. I wasn’t meant to be with Aevarr.
But it seemed that I wasn’t meant to be with Yorick either.
Listening to the voices that now started to yell orders, I tried to extract Yorick’s voice.
“To the stables, ready the horses.” I suddenly heard him and the mere sound of it gave me goosebumps.
Oh my, I was definitely not quite right in the head. Suddenly there were steps on the stairs and I was quick to sit down on Oddgeir’s bed and start wrapping the furs and blankets around the old shaman’s body.
“We ride, Seeress.”
It was Thorbjorn and he gave me a smile.
I nodded immediately, getting up from the bed with my heart throbbing in my throat.
“Be safe.” I put my hand on his heart and reached out to touch his forehead. “I’ll see you soon.”
He bowed his head and gave me a smile. “The hunters have returned as well, Yorick already sent for your sacred man, the two of you will join us soon.”
I gave him another nod and forced a smile as well. “Be safe, soldier.” I whispered hoarsely, realizing in astonishment, that he had simply sought for the blessing of my hand. How much power they bestowed on me already!
Soon after, I heard the clattering of many horses outside. Someone yelled: “To the Black Castle!” and a long cheer followed before they rode off.
Listening to the sudden silence, I heard a few footsteps downstairs.
“Help me to ready him.” Yorick. I moved back to the headrest of Oddgeir’s bed. Should I hide now? Nervously I took note of approaching steps on the stairs.
“The Seeress will give him a last blessing and you shall ride off to the Castle.” His voice resounded from the next room. “I will stay and set fire to the place.”
Shivering I rubbed my hands. Maybe a good idea. We would let everybody leave the village and then set at least the main hut on fire. It would give us a bit of time. They all were in a hurry anyhow, so no one would ask questions if Yorick took his time.
The curtain was pulled aside and I saw Yorick entering the room with another man.
“Sverre will take the body to the funeral, Seeress.” He nodded at me. “All the others have left this place and are on their way. Give your blessings to the body and prepare for the journey, you ride with me.”
I bowed my head, putting my hand on the old man’s chest as if I had a clear clue what I was doing. Then I exchanged a quick look with Yorick.
The young man picked the slimly built body up from the bed and nodded at his last companion.
“I will bring him downstairs, you ride and take him to the new campgrounds. The ships are waiting.” He turned back at me and gave me a nod as well. “Follow us, get my horse and wait for me on the other side of the house.” His mesmerizing eyes almost pierced through me. “Do as I told you, Seeress.” He slowly said, emphasising every word.
I swallowed hard, hesitantly putting my fingertips on the raven on his forehead. “I will.” I whispered back, fighting the urge to kiss him.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen