Donnerstag, 26. Mai 2016

Chapter 11 - Welcome to my Life

Chapter 11
Nicky's POV



I kept asking myself that question over and over again when I was finally sitting in Samu’s car again and later followed him along a corridor of an old building with high ceilings and oddly welcoming, open rooms. Before I could find an answer or even prepare myself for the situation I would be in only seconds later, we entered one of the rooms. Sunlight hit my eyes and I put my hand on my forehead, finding someone getting up from a chair and walking in my direction.
He was almost as tall as Samu but less muscular. His brown hair fell into his forehead and almost touched the beard he had grown. I recognized him instantly from the pictures on the internet, even though he had changed a lot. Damn, he looked knackered!
Samu gave him a hug and said a few sentences in Finnish. Then he turned to me.
“Nick, this is Riku. Riku, Nick.”
The look on his face had changed. Most probably Samu had told him who I was.
“Have a seat.” He offered, his voice sounding a little husky. “What d’you want?” he asked me directly, picking up his guitar. Without even waiting for my answer he sat down with his back turned towards me, putting his feet onto the radiator by the window. He even started humming along with the song he was playing.
I felt like taken for a ride.
Right at this second I knew exactly what I wanted to know from him. I got up. “Thank you for your time, that was all I needed.” I replied firmly, taking my coat. “I have no idea what she saw in you. But I wanted to see the face of the man that is actually capable of leaving a woman like Lin behind and also abandon his child.”
At an instant he was on his feet and I saw it in his eyes, he was about to slap me right in the face. “You came all this way to tell me that and rub into my face that you are banging the mother of my child, sunny boy?” he asked in a very low voice and I turned around to face him.
“I wanted to look into your eyes and maybe see what she had seen. Obviously I came unavailingly.” Actually I had no clue what I was doing there. I was standing in an asylum in front of an in-hospital patient that was most probably still on drug-withdrawal and one foot taller than me, and I intentionally made his blood boil and annoyed him far beyond endurance only because I wanted to see his reaction.
“You, little Miss Sunshine, have no idea what you are talking about.” He whispered with his teeth gritted and turned away from me again.
“Then tell me, you cissy.” I responded combatively (or weary of life maybe?). “Why couldn’t you be a man about this whole story?”
“This whole story is a lot more than a simple breakup!” he raised his index finger at me. “Don’t you dare alleging that I simply chickened out!”
“Well, you left a wonderful woman and a baby behind for no reason, sounds a lot like chickening out to me.” I was quick to step back when he suddenly approached, seething with rage.
“You little prick!” he hissed, grabbing my pullover. “You weren’t there, you didn’t see what I saw! It almost killed her, I almost killed her!” by now he was yelling and shaking me roughly."I had to cut my own child out of her, imagine that for a second, you tiny big shot! She could have died!"
I clenched my fists, watching him closely. “And so you decided to leave her? TWICE?”
That was the point where Samu grabbed him because he literally lunged at me. Yelling at him in Finnish, he dragged Riku away from me, suddenly standing between us with a stern look on his face. “Seriously?” he shouted at me. “What the hell d’you think you’re doing?”
“Making him realise what he lost by leaving her. She’s having nightmares and cries at night because of you.” My voice was only a whisper and I returned Riku’s stare. “She is trying her best to get over you because she thinks that you simply left and stopped loving her. I wanted to see you, you stupid son of a bitch. See you and tell you right into your fucking face that I will do anything to help her getting over you and be a father for her son because you are so far up your own arse that you can’t take your God given responsibility!”
With that I turned on my heels, leaving the room and soon after also the building. Your turn, scumbag. My legs were trembling. Without planning it properly, I had come here to wake him up and give him a piece of my mind. And I had succeeded.
Suddenly Samu was by my side again, giving me a wary look. It took him 5 minutes and a cigarette to finally say something again.
“Are you sure that this talk turned out the way you planned?” he asked, advisedly choosing his words. “You didn’t come here to simply confront him, did you?” he asked carefully, looking directly into my eyes and continued without waiting for my answer. “You are either stupid and impulsive, or the most selfless man in love on this planet.”
He was right, but maybe both of what he had just said was true.
“This is not something I simply wanna win, Samu.” I answered lowly, staring down at my hands. “I fell in love with Linnea the first moment I saw her but…”
“You don’t have to tell me.” He interrupted softly. “It is just that… Nick, you know that he will most probably right now pack his suitcase and leave this useless therapy behind, right?”
“I certainly know that.” Sighing about the serious consequences my few sentences and actions now entailed, I stared into the white nowhere around us.
“And that he will most probably take a flight to London to see her?”
“Of course he will.” I fell silent. “You know, I… I don’t want her to think that her child’s father simply left her behind. I can’t live with that especially now that I met him and saw with my own eyes that he still loves her. Maybe… it is her choice, maybe…”
“She will leave you?” Samu finished my sentence and I nodded slowly.
“Maybe she will.” I agreed almost inaudible.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen