Donnerstag, 12. Mai 2016

Chapter 3 - Welcome to my Life



Chapter 3

Linnea’s POV

Jon came back at two for a little feeding time and I was glad that he was there because my breasts already felt like small watermelons and I even wet my shirt when I heard the baby cry outside the diner.
With a cup of coffee I sat down with Jon, letting Cate take over again. The place had been full for lunchtime and I congratulated Jon again for his ideas. When I had been here to visit him the first time years ago, Jon’s had been nothing but an old bar. But with his creativity and the help of a friend, Jon had turned the place from stinky and timeworn to almost stylish. He took care of the diner and café for the morning, lunchtime and also most of the afternoon. His friend Jamie came at four to take over and run the bar and snack-place for the night. It was a perfect arrangement, especially now with me and the baby around. It was great to have someone around to help me out at night and spend time with me and Jannis every day. And I tried my best as a waitress to keep Jon’s running.
Putting the baby on my other breast, I sighed with relief. Jon smiled down at me.
“Perfect timing?”
“Abso-fucking-lutely!” I smiled back. “So what are you guys up to next?”
“Well, we could stay and I’ll teach him how to prepare the best tea in town but most probably we’ll hit the road and do some grocery shopping for tonight’s dinner. How’s Mr Byrne?” he suddenly changed the subject, sounding teasingly.
I tried my best not to show any emotions. “Better I guess.” My voice sounded a little throaty, damn! He’d know it right away. Preparing for a good wave of sarcasm, I emptied my coffee, pulling Jannis closer.
Surprisingly it didn’t come. Instead Jon got up, taking our cups to put them into the dishwasher. “Maybe you should go out with him sometime.” He suddenly stated, making me snort. Here we go! Right. I was the perfect date for Mr I-get-every-girl-I-want. 30, waitress, single mother.
“Yah, right.” I nodded with a dreamy look on my face. “Maybe I should also ask Ashton Kutcher for a date, he’s divorced by now, right?” With another snort I rolled my eyes. “Don’t be ridiculous!”
“Well, he had an eye on you.” Jon insisted, tapping my back. “And there is no better way to get over someone!”
I looked up at him, feeling anger and frustration welling up. “You have no idea what you’re talking about.” Shaking my head I almost grabbed the baby to pull him even closer. “It is… it was too much to… everything was… it’s all…”
Jon had a worried look on his face when he suddenly stepped closer again, taking me in his arms.
“Alright, alright!” he whispered, kneeling down beside me. “No need to crack up, dear! I won’t start it again, okay? Just relax!”
Trying to breathe in and out and in and out, I closed my eyes. “I found him on the streets, completely rat-arsed, d’you really think that he would be a good catch?” I joked lamely, still feeling my guts churn. Damn, there were so many things to get over for me, but I didn’t dare opening Pandora’s Box. It was all perfectly locked away, fears, feelings, anger, disappointment, my whole broken heart and the aching in my soul and on my mind. It only came out at night sometimes. Unconsciously I wrapped my free arm tighter around Jon’s neck. He had been there for me for the last two months and I couldn’t thank him enough for holding me in my restless nights when bad dreams came haunting me. I was afflicted by doubts about my decisions, but that was something Jon couldn’t relieve me of. He could only be there for me, and he was. Closing my eyes again I rested my face close to his collarbone. One day. I would go out again, just for fun. Not dating, but going out. Maybe it wasn’t today. Maybe it wasn’t tomorrow, but I would.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen